Dayton Metro Library Extends Free Food Program
The Dayton Metro Library’s free food program has been extended through the end of the year.
The program was originally scheduled to end when schools started back up, but demand has been high.
Mandie Burns is the Youth Services Director at Dayton Metro Library. She says they’ve been giving away roughly 23 thousand meals a week, and food distribution has overshadowed their other summer programs.
"None of us expected that this was going to become the big thing," Burns says. "One in five kids in the State of Ohio struggles with hunger, and we certainly saw that play out this summer."
The program allows parents to take up to five shelf-stable meals per child per week.
All 18 branches of Dayton Metro Library distribute food, but hours are limited. See the list below for days, times and locations.
TUESDAYS, 4:30 - 5:30 pm
- Main Library 215 E. Third St. 45402
- Miamisburg 545 E. Linden Ave. 45342
- Northmont 333 W. National Rd. 45322
- Northwest 2410 Philadelphia Dr. 45406
- Westwood 3207 Hoover Ave. 45402
- Wilmington-Stroop 3980 Wilmington Pk. 45429
WEDNESDAYS, 4:30 - 5:30 pm
- Brookville 120 Blue Pride Dr. 45309
- Burkhardt 4680 Burkhardt Ave. 45431
- Miami Township 2718 Lyons Rd. 45342
- Southeast 21 Watervliet Ave. 45420
- Trotwood 855 E. Main St. 45426
- Vandalia 330 S. Dixie Dr. 45377
THURSDAYS, 4:30 - 5:30 pm
- Electra C Doren 701 Troy St. 45404
- Huber Heights 6160 Chambersburg Rd. 45424
- Kettering-Moraine 3496 Far Hills Ave. 45429
- New Lebanon 715 W. Main St. 45345
- Madden Hills 2542 Germantown St. 45417
- West Carrollton 300 E Central Ave. 45449
There will be no meal distribution on dates the Library is closed: November 26 (Thanksgiving), December 24 (Christmas Eve) and December 31 (New Year’s Eve).