Mission, Vision, Values
Adopted by the Miami Valley Public Media Governing Board in October 2021.
The mission of WYSO is to serve the Miami Valley with information and inspiration that improves lives and builds community.
Our vision is for our programs, staff, boards and volunteers to be fully reflective of the communities we serve and strive to serve.
- Relationships are WYSO’s superpower. We achieve our mission by building authentic relationships across the community and across the country. It is through relationships that we create content, share music, and amplify voices that have historically been excluded from mainstream media; maintain our organization, as we add staff, volunteers and board members; and position WYSO as a thought leader within our industry.
- Equity. WYSO has a role to play in undoing centuries of inequality in all its forms. Our news, music and storytelling further conversations about inequality and highlight solutions emerging to tackle it.
- Independence. WYSO is independent and belongs to this community. Independent also describes the ways we approach journalism and the music we share. Our staff, boards and hosts / producers will not be unduly influenced by corporate interests or wealthy individuals.
- Trustworthy journalism that is fact-based, researched, transparent, intellectually curious, pushes beyond the obvious answers, local, fair, and, when it’s called for, embraces the search for solutions. We believe an educated citizenry is essential to the functioning of our democracy.
- Education and lifelong learning. Our programming allows our listeners to learn and discover new things every day. And through our Center for Community Voices we provide hands-on learning opportunities for local citizens in the art of audio storytelling.