Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
In May of 2021, WYSO formed an Equity Committee within our staff to help address issues of accountability, social justice, inclusion within our community. We invite our listeners to review the Equity Committee’s goals and vision. Please share your comments via our email: email@example.com
EQUITY COMMITTEE MISSION
The staff and management of Miami Valley Public Media believe that establishing a workplace that embraces diversity and inclusion should be a part of our mission. We are committed to building a staff of professionals that reflects the cultural landscape of the communities we serve. We want our staff to reflect the same percentages of the Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) of our listening area. This includes a rich texture of employees of all ages, ethnicities, sexual orientations, abilities, nationalities, religions, and gender identities. We strive to create a workplace that empowers all employees to bring their full and authentic selves to the organization. WYSO is a place where Black Lives Matter; where Pride Month, Women's History Month, the Appalachian roots of our region, and all marginalized groups are recognized and celebrated.
To support WYSO in becoming an organization that is representative of the diversity found in the Miami Valley, that accepts and values everyone, that appreciates our common humanity, and that celebrates our cultural differences.
- Honesty – In order to become the idealized version of ourselves, both as individuals and as an organization, we have to be honest with ourselves and with others.
- Vulnerability – A prerequisite to change is an openness to change, and a willingness to be uncomfortable.
- Empathy – To properly understand each other, we have to be emotionally mature enough to put ourselves in the shoes of others.
- Democracy – Maintaining the cornerstones of American democracy that promotes equality, justice, and common good, we strive to listen to the cacophony of voices in the communities we serve.
- The Journey – Change doesn’t occur on the peak of Everest or at the finish line of the Boston Marathon; it occurs during the weeks, months, and years of training. We value the journey towards a goal, which is often more rewarding than the goal itself.
Anti-Racism at WYSO Action Plan Fact Sheet
Do you know of an organization promoting diversity and inclusion in the Miami Valley? Let our Equity team know at firstname.lastname@example.org