© 2024 WYSO
Our Community. Our Nation. Our World.
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Deputy shot, killed at Clark County mobile home

Scene of the crime where Clark County Deputy Matthew Yates was killed.
Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost Twitter
According to news outlets, the mobile home caught fire during the incident in Harmony Township.

A Clark County sheriff's deputy was shot and killed Sunday at a mobile home park in Harmony Twp., an hours-long incident that also involved a large police response, a standoff and a fire.

Deputy Matthew Yates died from his injuries after being flown to Miami Valley Hospital, Clark County Sheriff Deborah Burchett said during a brief and emotional news conference. Yates was a 15-year veteran of the sheriff's office and a member of the Special Operations Team, Burchett said through tears.

"At this time there is no threat to the public," Burchett said.

"Please keep the Yates family in your thoughts and prayers," she said. "And please keep my sheriff's office in your thoughts and prayers."

Another deputy appeared to have injured his leg while avoiding gunfire from the mobile home, the Springfield News-Sun reports.

The resident of the mobile home and another person in the home at the time may be dead, according to relatives who spoke to the Springfield News-Sun. Deputies haven't confirmed this information, nor said how they might have died.

The shooting occured in the 1100 block of Ashwood Drive in the Harmony Estates Mobile Home Park in eastern Clark County. Deputies received a 911 call shortly before 11 a.m. Sunday about an unknown woman possibly breaking into the mobile home, Burchett said,

Several shots were fired when deputies arrived, the sheriff said. The deputies then attempted to check the interior of the home and were met with gunfire.

Yates was shot inside the home, Burchett said.

"Clark County Special Ops and several surrounding tactical teams were called and facilitated a rescue of our downed deputy," she said.

Burchett didn't take any questions during her brief news conference.

At one point, the mobile home caught fire and was destroyed, the Springfield News-Sun reports. It's unclear how the fire started.

Several other nearby mobile homes were evacuated during the standoff.

The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation has taken over the investigation.