WYSO Weekend: May 17, 2015
In this edition of WYSO Weekend: High school graduation rates have increased in the last decade, according to a new report. We’ll tell you about that. We’ve also got Miami Valley StoryCorps, Dayton Youth Radio and some aviation commentary from Paul Glenshaw and Dan Patterson. Full details below.
- “Redlining” is when banks in lots of U.S. cities refused to make loans or provide services in some neighborhoods—often low-income black neighborhoods. The practice was officially ended in 1977, with a federal ban that also encourages banks to reinvest in poor areas. But now cities including Dayton are saying those regulations are not doing enough. Dayton has joined New York, Seattle and Cleveland by passing an ordinance to push banks to invest in low-income neighborhoods and avoid predatory lending. WYSO’s Lewis Wallace has more.
- A report released last week by the public policy group, Civic Enterprises, finds graduation rates in the US have climbed over the last decade. The report is called Building a Grad Nation: Update to the Nation. Civic Enterprises CEO, John Bridgeland, is a former domestic policy director for Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama. He says his focus for the last 15 years has been high school graduation rates. On Saturday, Bridgeland was in Dayton to speak at the Grad Nation Summit in collaboration with Learn to Earn Dayton. We spoke with him by phone before his arrival.
- On Miami Valley StoryCorps we bring you conversations between local people who went to the StoryCorps booth in Dayton last spring. Today, we hear David Dailey and his husband Jim McCarthy talk about their relationship of nearly 20 years.
- This week we shared a powerful edition of WYSO's Dayton Youth Radio Project. It was from a teenager who grew up in foster care and shared some vivid memories of his experience. Youth Radio project coordinator Basim Blunt has the story.
- Last week WYSO's aviation commentators, Paul Glenshaw and Dan Patterson, teamed up to cover the World War II Flyover in Washington DC. A parade of privately owned vintage warbirds celebrated the 70th anniversary of VE Day – the victory in Europe. Paul recorded voices and Dan took photographs to bring us this impression of the event. Paul Glenshaw narrates. *You can see Dan Patterson's photos of the flyover in a video accompanied by Paul's audio at our website.