Title: Economics Reporter
Classification: Exempt, Administrative Associate
Department: WYSO Public Radio
Supervisor: News Director
91.3 WYSO Public Radio in Yellow Springs, Ohio is seeking an experienced Economics Reporter to create accurate, vivid, meaningful stories that describe the current state of the local economy. This reporter will “go behind the numbers” to cover subjects including but not limited to labor unions, school funding issues, and neighborhood and business development. These stories will include reports on broad subjects and personal stories, too. The reporter will produce daily stories for radio newscasts plus in-depth radio features, and special reports as assigned primarily for Morning Edition and All Things Considered but also for other station programs as-needed. Reporter will also be expected to produce web content to accompany the radio stories that could include photographs and short videos.
The WYSO coverage area includes the city of Dayton in Montgomery County and the surrounding 9 counties. The potential FM listening audience is more than 1.1 million.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Selects and researches reporting topics
• Accepts reporting assignments
• Contacts and interviews sources
• Maintains notes and audio recordings
• Writes, edits and voices reports for air
• Adheres to assigned deadlines
• Attends weekly news and staff meetings as assigned
• Operates broadcasting equipment in the field and in the studio
• Participates in station membership drives and other events as-needed
• Supplies web content, photos, video, etc.
• Is a productive, constructive and cooperative member of a high-functioning team
• Occasionally contributes to regional and national networks
Skills and Abilities
• A demonstrated ability to work in a live broadcast environment
• Knowledge and adherence to high ethical and journalism standards
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Understands appropriate forms for broadcast (live on-air, copy, actuality, cut & copy, voicer, wrap, feature, series, documentary, studio two-way, etc.) as well as for the web
• Excellent on-line research, word processing, digital editing skills
• Operation of light office equipment including copy and fax
• Excellent memory for details
• Ability to meet hourly/ daily deadlines under pressure, i.e., good time management skill
• Deal effectively with simultaneous tasks
• Work well in diverse groups
• Works in close concert with other staff and under the supervision of WYSO’s News Director, assisting in identifying, developing and creating programs that support WYSO ‘s overall mission.
A four-year degree or equivalent required. Minimum one year full-time professional, experience in journalism. Must have expertise in news-gathering, writing for broadcast, editing and digital audio production for short-form and long-form reports. The ideal candidate would have familiarity with public radio broadcast news programming and style, possess a broad knowledge of local and regional issues — and/or depth of knowledge in beat specialty. Valid drivers license and access to personal transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Requires frequent travel between station and outside entities.
This is a full-time, salaried, one-year, grant-funded position effective upon employment start date and subject to annual renewal as funding allows.
Application and Deadline:
Applicants should send a letter of interest, a resume and work samples, including audio files, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
Office of Human Resources
888 Dayton Street, Suite 102
Yellow Springs OH 45387
Attn: Karen Snyder, SPHR
Fax: (937) 769-1377